Canyon Chronicle

Catalina trip helps students learn about ecology, environment

CORSETS+SWIMSUITS%21+Zipping+up+the+last+of+her+3+piece+suit%2C+Maisy+Crary%287%29%2C+Amber+Briggs%287%29%2C+and+Madison+Mullender%287%29+get+ready+to+go+snorkeling+at+Catalina+island+on+October+20th.+%22I+believe+the+wet+suits+did+help+me+a+little+because+at+first+it+was+really+hard+to+get+on+and+the+last+couple+of+days+I+got+use+to+putting+them+on%2C%22+Crary+said.+%287%29+++
Back to Article
Back to Article

CORSETS SWIMSUITS! Zipping up the last of her 3 piece suit, Maisy Crary(7), Amber Briggs(7), and Madison Mullender(7) get ready to go snorkeling at Catalina island on October 20th.

CORSETS SWIMSUITS! Zipping up the last of her 3 piece suit, Maisy Crary(7), Amber Briggs(7), and Madison Mullender(7) get ready to go snorkeling at Catalina island on October 20th. "I believe the wet suits did help me a little because at first it was really hard to get on and the last couple of days I got use to putting them on," Crary said. (7)

Tiffany Hutcheson

Tiffany Hutcheson

Tiffany Hutcheson

Simon Deal, Staff Writer

Students on a out-of-state trip to Catalina Island where they explored the wonders of the deep and did many things in the labs. As this was happening, they learned about the ecosystem and what kind of creatures live in the waters around the island.
     Students had to travel 395 miles on a trip that took up to eight hours. The trip could be used to give a better understanding of science to students by offering a more hands-on experience.

“It can help with marine biology, ecology, and tide study to help students in the classroom,” seventh grader Madison Mullender said.
     Students got a whole new experience of learning about ecology and the tide and affect how students learn in the classroom. It also taught students about the danger of pollution and what it has done to effect the Earth.
     “We saw a lot of trash in the ocean while snorkeling, so it might change their minds and make them more considerate towards the ocean,” Mullender said.
     Eighth grader Amber Briggs hopes students will recognize how their choice affect the planet.
     “It can reflect on how students view and treat the environment,” Briggs said.