Challenges of student director job teach leadership

ASK+THE+BOSS+Looking+at+a+broken+prop%2C+Cheyenne+Velock+and+student+director+Lauren+Coburn+discuss+how+to+fix+the+gingerbread+house+before+Cactus+Canyon%27s+drama+performance+of+%22Santa%27s+Sugar.%22+The+play%2C+which+was+written+by+Jane+Grencher+and+directed+by+adviser+Lisa+Schroeder%2C+was+performed+Dec.+6.+%22The+audience+can+see+how+much+time+that+went+into+it%2C%22+Coburn+said.+%22They+see+that+we+care+about+what+it+looks+like++and+how+it%27s+presented.%22+
Back to Article
Back to Article

ASK THE BOSS Looking at a broken prop, Cheyenne Velock and student director Lauren Coburn discuss how to fix the gingerbread house before Cactus Canyon's drama performance of

ASK THE BOSS Looking at a broken prop, Cheyenne Velock and student director Lauren Coburn discuss how to fix the gingerbread house before Cactus Canyon's drama performance of "Santa's Sugar." The play, which was written by Jane Grencher and directed by adviser Lisa Schroeder, was performed Dec. 6. "The audience can see how much time that went into it," Coburn said. "They see that we care about what it looks like and how it's presented."

Payton Dillon

Payton Dillon

Payton Dillon

Lexie Carrillo, Staff Writer

From the struggles of getting everyone ready to the bows after the show, it was all worth it for eighth grader Lauren Coburn.
     Coburn, the student director, was very relieved that her and her classmates got through the the Advanced Drama class’ performance of “Santa’s Sugar” on Dec. 6.
      “I felt as if a huge weight fell off my shoulders knowing that I did alright, and that the play was good,” she said.
     Coburn said it was challenging to get actors into character at first, but once they got through that directing was easier.
     To improve their skills Coburn showed the students how to get into their character and be on task.
     “I actually had to boss around a lot of my friends and it was really hard to do that,” she said. “There was a few little issues here and there, but there wasn’t any major problems.”
     Although it was part of the job, Coburn said she wasn’t always comfortable telling people what to do.
     “I felt kinda mean and I don’t like feeling that way so I would apologize right after,” she said.
     Coburn said she learned about leadership by being the student director.
     “You always have to be able to get anyone and everyone into motion and you also have to be on task in order for everyone else, to,” Coburn said.
     Even though there was some rough times dealing with other students attitude and talk backs she still made out to be a great student director and leader.
     “At first it was hard and then afterward it got a little bit easier,” she said. “But bossing people around was challenging because everyone will fight back.”
     Mrs. Schroeder said Colburn did her job well and learned from the process.
     “I feel like that she handled all student issues very eloquently and she was able to delegate duties,” Mrs. Schroeder said.
     The play was based on a book that was written by Jane Grencher, which Coburn thought was a good story for children.
     “I would say she put a lot of thought and poured her heart into this,” Coburn said. “I’m really glad that she let us perform for her.”