AVID program aims to create positive mindset, prep students for college

Program will expand to high school for 2019-20

Back to Article
Back to Article

Carson Frisch

Carson Frisch

Carson Frisch

Vic Morago and Trent Howard

Cactus Canyon has brought AVID to the curriculum to identify and support students who may not have considered themselves right for post-high school education.
     Advancement Via Individual Determination is designed to help students achieve academic goals and it was added in hopes that it will bring students more opportunities for academic success.
     “Students learn a variety of skills in AVID that center around instruction, systems, leadership and service,” AVID teacher Tina Jada said.
     AVID is expected to influence the mindset and work ethic of participants in the program, as well as give them more opportunities in Apache Junction.
     “(It develops) their personal sense of worth, confidence, college and career readiness, and organization,” Jada said.
     When looking for students to join, the AVID team looked for kids who demonstrate the ability and desire to prepare for college, but maintain average grades and may have circumstances that could bring obstacles in achievement.
     “Students must be self-motivated,” Mrs. Jada said. “Students must maintain a 2.0 GPA and have good attendance. They must keep a school binder and participate in AVID activities.”
     Those activities include happiness classes to teach students about the real effects of people and how to help students feel positive about their futures. The classes also include lessons on how to be successful and how to respect people and their opinions.
     “We are learning about happiness classes and how it affects students, some key details were how to help you feel happier because students were feeling down and felt they needed a lot to be successful,” eighth grader Evan Larned said.
     The main point of AVID is to help students have a better understanding and to be aware of high school, college, and their grades to continue school.
     “(It teaches us) to not be scared of college,” eighth grader Alex Smith said. “And to continue going to school and not to drop out.”
     The AVID program was approved by the Governing Board and nine educators attended training in Dallas over the summer.
     “We already have adopted many of the philosophies of AVID and thought it was a great program for our students.” Principal Courtney Castelhano.
     The AVID program is planned to include more students in the future with expansion.
     “Next year we hope to bring AVID to the ninth grade and keep expanding until we have it at every level of the high school,” Castelhano said.