Experienced adviser Schroeder takes over StuCo program

Schroeder was AASC Adviser of the Year in 2015

Back to Article
Back to Article

Going over the expectations, new adviser Lisa Schroeder prepares Student Council members for their first recycling outing.

Marion Blakely

Marion Blakely

Marion Blakely

Trent Howard, Staff Writer

Students in StuCo are experiencing something new. A new adviser was chosen to teach the class.
     Lisa Schroeder has taken over after Jason Davis gave up the job to teach a journalism class at Apache Junction High School. Davis had been the adviser since Cactus Canyon opened in 2010.
     “Mr. Davis was offered an excellent opportunity to teach at both our campus as well as the high school,” Mrs. Schroeder said. “Fortunately our AJUSD students will be able to get the best of his talents at both sites.”
     Mrs. Schroeder was a high school Student Council adviser for 16 years and was the Arizona Adviser of the Year in 2015.
     One change is the inclusion of more special education students in the program.
     “They do really great and I think that’s nice,” Vice President Megan Gossman said.
     Students also have more choices of what they do in Student Council, and every student can participate in their activities.
     “It seems like students have more control, and everyone can participate,” President Sage Miguel Gaspar said.
     StuCo members are planning events in the future that include assemblies and more work outside of school.
     “I will continue to look for ways to make each year the best that I can for my students and the community they serve,” Mrs. Schroeder said.