Canyon Chronicle

New club a place of hope, diversity

Back to Article
Back to Article

New club a place of hope, diversity

Tyler Granillo answers a question from Zoe Miller during a presentation about gender neutral terms at a Diversity Alliance Club meeting.

Isabella Vasquez

Isabella Vasquez

Isabella Vasquez

Kelley Bentley, Staff Writer

Finding who you are as a person can be not only difficult, but intimidating, especially if you’re unsure if you’ll be supported or not.
     Eighth grader Tyler Granillo has set out to help relieve those worries by making sure nobody feels alone. He created the Diversity Alliance Club in October, bringing a safe place for students.
     “I go to a group called One-n-Ten every Monday night in Mesa; they have given me my safe space and I wanted to bring that to AJ,” Granillo said. “The Diversity Alliance Club gives a place of hope and diversity that is so hard to find at our age.”
     The club has created a place of not only acceptance but bonding between the students. One of the bonding activities included students having a piece of yarn and then being read a prompt. Students would then throw the yarn to the person that the prompt matched.
     “The club has helped me meet new people who understand me and don’t judge me,” eighth grader Falicity Womack said.
     Granillo was born a girl and named Eva, but has known that he was a boy since he was about 11 years old. He thought he was different and had tried desperately to figure out what it was.
     “Many of my friends were extremely supportive, but I did lose a few of my very best friends,” Granillo said. “My mom was confused but has always been supportive of me. My grandma was scared how kids would react. She said that they can be cruel and I told her it was going to be OK and I can make it.”
     Granillo has a message to anyone who ever thinks that they stand alone because of who they are.
     “You will be OK and you are not alone. I might be a stranger but the world connects all of us, you just have to be willing to explore. Also, don’t be afraid to do something big with your school life. Make it worth it. If I was able to do it, why can’t you? I believe in you.”

About the Contributors
Kelley Bentley, Staff Writer, Announcements Host

My name’s Kelley. I love horror movies, doggies, and making new friends. My favorite quotes are from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and I practically...

Isabella Vasquez, Photographer, Yearbook Editor

My name is Isabella Vasquez, but many of my friends refer to me as “Bella” and so many other names I can’t name them all. I am vice president in...