Teamwork leads football team to big improvement

Back to Article
Back to Article

Quarterback Jordan Digos attempts a pass during the team's first game at Ben Franklin.

Kashmir Baillie

Kashmir Baillie

Kashmir Baillie

Anna Mayfield, Staff Writer

The Cactus Canyon football team completed the regular season with a 3-1 record and earned the No. 2 spot in the playoffs.
     Part of the success has to do with teamwork. Coaches and players said a very important factor in winning this season is working together.
     “Something I can take away from football is the importance of effort and the importance of the team,” eighth grader Trevin Furnish said.
     Last year the team was 2-3 and finished in fourth place for the season. They are doing better this year. Part of this winning may just be the experienced eighth graders who knew what they are doing and who hope to advance to the championship game.
     “We have an experienced eighth grade class,” head coach Vance Miller said. “As seventh graders, they learned from the eighth graders and worked hard to earn their spots this year.”
     Another part of the team’s success this year may is students being eligible to play with their good grades. Math teachers Tina Jada and Lydia Henry have offered to tutor players after school to keep their grades up.
     “Every year we want to increase our participation numbers and keep kids eligible with their grades,” Coach Miller said. “I want them to learn that the team is bigger than themselves and everything they do in the classroom affects the team.”
     The Cougars will play their first playoff game at 6 p.m. on Thursday, March 1, at Davis Field.