Science students view reactions in chemistry lab

Eighth grader Breanna Baker tests for chemical reactions during the mystery powder science lab in February.

Trystan Carr, Staff Writer

Science students participate in many labs during the year, but one of the most popular happened in February.
     This experiment, referred to as the mystery powder experiment, started around Feb. 1 and helps cover the science grade standards, such as reactivity, formation of a precipitate, and identifying chemical reactions to heat.
     “A few years ago, I saw this lab being done by a fellow teacher,” eighth-grade science teacher Regan Roach said. “The students seemed to be enjoy the lab and it was something that helped teach the eighth grade science standards.”
     In the experiment, students take different powders and see how they react with different chemicals. There are three different things to react with, vinegar, indicator, and heat.
     During the heat test students take tin foil, fold it into a bowl, put in some of the powder, and hover it over a candle. In the other two tests students pour some powder onto a metal tin, and pour some of the chemical onto the powder. Changes could occur during the experiment, such as something bubbling up, smoking up or releasing odors.
     The lab focused on chemistry, but students learned other skills as well.
     “Students learned about chemistry, but also about lab safety and communication skills,” Roach said.