Canyon Chronicle

Science students shift to online notebooks

Sites add creativity to interactive notebooks

Marion Blakely, Staff Writer

Eighth-grade science students have using e-notebooks instead of regular notebooks to write notes in class as a way to try new things and be more creative.
     Students have been using composition notebooks to create interactive notebooks in core classes, but Regan Roach decided to try a different way.
     E-notebooks are an online journal used to write down notes. Mrs. Roach hopes kids can accept change and become more tech savvy while still learning science.
     “This isn’t a project or assignment,” she said. “Rather than keep our journals in a composition, we keep them online now. The objectives our online journal covers are eighth grade science standards as well as technology standards.”
     Students will be able to see a different side of lessons and be more creative from this experience.
     “What I learned from this experience is how to make your own things in life,” Jade English said. “Like my online website, I was able to learn how to be creative.”
     Author Adam Welcome recently visited the school and made a comment that paper and pencil were “old” style of education and that everything they did in class could be done online. He also believes students need to learn how to use technology to the best of its ability.
     “I thought about his statement (over and over) and decided to give it a try,” Mrs. Roach said.
     She hopes she will be able to use this for all classes next year, but will stick with the two classes for now .
     “I do have all intentions of using the online journal for these two classes for the remainder of the year,” she said. “If it works out, I will use online journals for all of my classes in the future.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Science students shift to online notebooks”

1. Allenah on March 5th, 2018 8:03 pm

I get what there saying about being more tech savvy. But for the kids who have had to use paper and pencil since they were in kindergarten are not used to it. When they brought IPad’s to my school instead of using paper and pencil I was mad because I wasn’t used to it and I liked using paper and pencil and I still do.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The Student News Site of Cactus Canyon Jr. High - Apache Junction, Arizona