Canyon Chronicle

Drama students prepping production of ‘Oz’

'Oz Monologues' a twist on classic tale

Craig Byrd, Staff Writer

Drama students will be putting on their second play on March 29 and telling the story of the Wizard of Oz.
     The Oz Monologues is a behind-the-scenes look at “The Wizard of Oz” and reveals what really happened when Dorothy landed in Oz, what became of the other characters after Dorothy left, and the secret behind the “magical” ruby slippers.
     Drama teacher Lisa Schroeder hopes that the impacts of the play will teach her students teamwork and help expand their creativity. She has already seen this and hopes to see more once the play premiers.
     “I expect my students will gain confidence, teamwork, time management and foster their creativity,” Schroeder said.
     She said wants students to take responsibility for their role in the play, no matter what it is.
      “What will make this production successful is if my students enjoy themselves and take ownership of their their characters, job assignments and production,” Schroeder said.
     The student playing Dorothy, eighth grader Avery Fisher, has been preparing for her role by studying Dorothy’s characteristics and starting doing it as soon as she learned she would be playing the iconic character.
     “To prepare for my role as Dorothy, I studied her various mannerisms she performs throughout the story. I took inspiration from Judy Garland’s interpretation and even the book,” Fisher said.
     Mrs. Schroeder has worked in Theatre Arts for 18 years but had not put on the play of the Wizard of Oz and said she is very excited to be doing this with her students.
     “We are going to use some fairy tale elements in character, costume and set design,” she said. “We are going to update the elements to fit the adaptation into some conservative Steampunk design elements and inspirations. There will be a few iconic Musical numbers, and new twists on old favorite characters.”
     The performance will be at 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 29, at the Apache Junction High School Performing Arts Center. The cost will be $5 for adults and $3 for students. Children 5 and under are admitted for free. Tickets will only be sold at the door.