Canyon Chronicle

Valentine’s dance moves to Wednesday

Final dance will be 5:15-7 p.m. Feb. 7

Painting a castle scene for her Valentine's dance poster, eighth grader Maria Alamillo Flores outlines a horse in black paint. The dance will be from 5:15-7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 7.

Mr. Davis

Mr. Davis

David Tomazin, Staff Writer

The Valentine’s dance will take place on a Wednesday this year due to sporting events; the date is Feb. 7 from 5:15 to 7 p.m..
     The Valentine’s dance will include Minute to Win It games, sumo wrestling, a photo booth, and a concession stand. Attendees are not required to bring a date or wear special clothes. DJ Eddie Huff will be playing music.
     The dance was originally unscheduled, so when Student Council tried to schedule the event, Thursdays were all reserved for sporting events.
     “When we scheduled all our events over the summer, we didn’t schedule a third dance because we considered having it toward the end of the year,” StuCo adviser Jason Davis said.
     Mr. Davis said some students might not be able to attend on a Wednesday, but attendance would’ve been much lower if all the athletes were at a game.
     “I’m interested to see how the date affects our attendance,” Mr. Davis said. “On one hand, we might lose some folks because they can’t stay out late on a school night. Alternatively, people will be in the rhythm of the school week and that might make them more likely to come.”
     The council’s goal is to have at least 300 students attend. Being a fundraiser is a big part of the dances, but StuCo members just want students to enjoy themselves.
     “I just want to hear that kids had fun. I think people have had a good time at the dances this year, and that’s all we really want,” Mr. Davis said. “These our our biggest fundraisers, so it’s obviously nice to raise the money, but we really just want to do good things for our student body.”
     Mr. Davis said the council tries to plan games and offer activities for everyone, even if they don’t like to dance.
     “Our dances are fun,” Mr. Davis said. “We try to make them accessible and enjoyable for everyone at Cactus Canyon.”
     The regular dress code applies at the dance and students need a ride home.

About the Writer
David Tomazin, Staff Writer, Announcements Host
Hello Muggles! I’m David Tomazin, probably the biggest nerd you will ever meet. My Hogwarts house is Gryffindor and I like Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Overwatch, and more. I enjoy reading, drawing, and watching anime. I enjoy writing normal news stories, but I’m pretty much good with everything.
3 Comments

3 Responses to “Valentine’s dance moves to Wednesday”

1. kaitlyn mccoy on February 6th, 2018 2:42 pm

i think that everyone should be able to take a picture with the caste and the horse painting.

[Reply]

2. Natalie Delintt on February 10th, 2018 6:01 pm

You guys are doing so good on the new blog! The writing is amazing and gets better every year. Change is always good, but the decision to change to a new website was a good one. Props to Mr. Davis and the whole team!

[Reply]

jdavis Reply:

Thank you, Natalie! Your contributions to our program are well-remembered and still appreciated.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Valentine’s dance moves to Wednesday

News

Student Council earns master status

• Valentine’s dance moves to Wednesday

News

‘Chronicle’ earns second Crown Award

• Valentine’s dance moves to Wednesday

News

Calendar vote leads to lunchtime protest

• Valentine’s dance moves to Wednesday

News

Drama students prepping production of ‘Oz’

• Valentine’s dance moves to Wednesday

News

Yearbook earns second place in Lifetouch contest

• Valentine’s dance moves to Wednesday

News

Teachers take pies in the face to help StuCo raise money for hurricane victims

• Valentine’s dance moves to Wednesday

News

Chronicle named finalist for digital Crown

• Valentine’s dance moves to Wednesday

News

NJHS supports community with chili cook-off

• News

Committee to decide whether to return to 5-day week

• Valentine’s dance moves to Wednesday

News

Students study Bill of Rights with art contest

The Student News Site of Cactus Canyon Jr. High - Apache Junction, Arizona
Valentine’s dance moves to Wednesday