Canyon Chronicle

Students take charge of ‘Grimm’ performance

Actors and crew responsible for all areas of play production

Seventh grader Audrey Gribble, eighth grader Avery Fisher, and seventh grader Jewel Bradford perform in the drama class's production of

Seventh grader Audrey Gribble, eighth grader Avery Fisher, and seventh grader Jewel Bradford perform in the drama class's production of "The Brothers Grimm" on Nov. 20.

Emily Sosa

Emily Sosa

Delaney Siggia, Chronicle Editor

The CCJH Drama Club performed a unique rendition of The Brothers Grimm in November.
     The performance was held on Nov. 20 in the Apache Junction High School Performing Arts Center. Students were responsible for nearly every aspect of the production, including acting, lighting, costumes, and makeup.
     “(The students) accepted responsibility, shifted roles and worked together as a unit to make the show a success,” director and drama club instructor Lisa Schroeder said.
     The club spent six to eight weeks preparing and practicing. Mrs. Schroeder says she chose the Brothers Grimm play because it was both a comedy and a fairy tale and it helped the class practice timing and transitions. Many students say they enjoyed the story because of the plot.
     “I enjoyed Brothers Grimm because it was a play about making a play,” eighth grader Avery Fisher, who played one of the leading roles, said. “It was different than other productions.”
     A total of about 650 people attended the shows, with approximately 450 students at the day performance and 200 at the evening performance. Students involved in the show worked through several challenges, including memorizing long speeches, helping others remember their lines, and making sure the actors looked just right.
     “I think the kids did an excellent job and worked well with problem solving in this production,” Schroeder said. “Every show has its challenges, each one unique. It is a privilege seeing my students develop the problem solving and coping skills necessary to reach the end goal together.”
     Although most work seen by the audience was done by those who were acting, the behind the scenes crew is not to be underestimated or forgotten. Each person contributing to the production was essential to the overall turnout.
     “Just because you aren’t a ‘main actor’ does not mean that you are not important in the play,” eighth grader Curtis Smith said. “All places are important and if one is not there, even a ‘minor actor’ or backstage, it is hard for the rest to cover.”

About the Contributors
Delaney Siggia, Chronicle Editor, Announcements Host and Editor
Greetings, earthlings! My name is Delaney Siggia and I’m a self-proclaimed musician and a writer for the Canyon Chronicle. I love sleeping, music, and using sarcasm (since the alternative, beating the life out of people, is typically frowned upon). I prefer writing academic stories, but I don’t have a problem with doing opinion pieces, either.
Emily Sosa, Oro Yearbook Photographer

My name is Emily Sosa, cookie/pun enthusiast and expert (not to brag) artist. I love artsy things, including photography, and I’m always there to encourage people. My main goal in life is to make people happy with art, make them happy in general, and inspire them. Hope you’re feeling chocolate chipper today!