Canyon Chronicle

StuCo spreads positive messages with sticky notes

Council aims to boost school spirit in new ways

Eighth grade Student Council representative Noah Mittendorf hangs up sticky notes with positive messages written by students. The sticky note wall is a StuCo project to help spread positivity.

Mr. Davis

Mr. Davis

David Tomazin, Staff Writer

Student Council members have started a sticky note wall in the cafeteria as a way to boost school spirit and positivity.
     The wall is a free event and is an idea that came from the AAJHSC Leadership Conference in November. StuCo members started the project by writing their own positive messages to post on the wall and then began passing out sticky notes so everyone can contribute.
     “This project isn’t anything we’re doing for money and there’s no cost to participate in anything,” adviser Jason Davis said. “If we’re trying to improve school spirit and make people happy, charging money is the wrong way to go.”
     StuCo’s goal is to to increase school spirit in new ways other than assemblies and spirit days. The wall will give messages from peers about positivity, so students will be more cheerful about school and learning.
     “My job as a StuCo member is to be there for the school and the students, hopefully providing motivation, so I believe this is a direct way to reach the students,” eighth grader Olivia McCrary said.
Council members started this event to combat teen depression and self-harm from peer negativity. The sticky note wall is one of several possible events that were brought to Cactus Canyon from workshop activities at the Arizona Association of Junior High Student Councils.
     “StuCo had completed this event because we had recently heard a lot of stories about children who have become depressed and self harmful because of their peers,” McCrary said. “We didn’t want any of our fellow students to go through such events so we hoped to inspire them further.”
     StuCo hopes the wall will help spread positivity from the messages and selfies to increase the good feeling about school, and even outside of school.
     “The ultimate goal is to get students to think positively, even if it’s just a little bit. I hope students enjoy contributing messages, taking selfies, and generally getting a positive vibe from their day at school.” Davis said. ” And if people post their photos to social media, I hope that can extend those happy vibes beyond the walls of the school.”

About the Writer
David Tomazin, Staff Writer, Announcements Host
Hello Muggles! I’m David Tomazin, probably the biggest nerd you will ever meet. My Hogwarts house is Gryffindor and I like Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Overwatch, and more. I enjoy reading, drawing, and watching anime. I enjoy writing normal news stories, but I’m pretty much good with everything.