Canyon Chronicle

Chronicle named finalist for digital Crown

CSPA award is one of the most prestigious in student journalism

Staff members of the Canyon Chronicle are finalists for a Columbia Scholastic Press Association Gold Crown Award.
Back: Kathryn Matthes, Josh Mott, David Tomazin, Daisy Gonzales, Rylee Anforth, Delaney Siggia, Austin Martinez, and Mario English.
Front: Kelley Bentley and Kallie Mastin.

Staff members of the Canyon Chronicle are finalists for a Columbia Scholastic Press Association Gold Crown Award. Back: Kathryn Matthes, Josh Mott, David Tomazin, Daisy Gonzales, Rylee Anforth, Delaney Siggia, Austin Martinez, and Mario English. Front: Kelley Bentley and Kallie Mastin.

Daisy Gonzales, Staff Writer

The Canyon Chronicle has been named a finalist for the 2018 Gold Crown Award from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association. Fewer than 300 out of about 1,100 publications of other schools around the country are finalists.
     The Chronicle is the only middle school digital-only newspaper who made it into the finals. Other publications are print newspapers, yearbooks, and magazines.
     “It definitely makes me proud to know that we’re the only middle school in the finals,” editor Delaney Siggia said. “It’s good to know that all our hard work is paying off.”
     Cactus Canyon won a 2017 Gold Crown, but that award was for the Cougar News Blog, which now has been transformed into the Canyon Chronicle.
     Due to the previous award, staff members are encouraged to strive for even better achievements.
     “Winning the Crown Award feels more like an achievement rather than something that increases pressure,” eighth grader David Tomazin said. “Instead, it feels more like something that inspires me to do more and keep up good work.”
     Adviser Jason Davis decided to transfer from a blog to a website because after receiving a critique from a CSPA judge. The website improves the publication visually and adds new features like a sports section, staff page, and better organization.
     “Based on the feedback we received from a judge in our critique, I decided we had a lot of room for improvement and we made the switch to a full website and rebranded as the Canyon Chronicle,” Davis said.
     The site won’t be able to find out if they had won the Gold Crown Award until March of 2018, which will be announced in New York City.
     “It’s a little confusing because we are finalists and winners at the same time,” Davis said. “We are finalists for the Gold Crown, but if we do not earn that award we will get a Silver Crown, which is still pretty good.”

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Chronicle named finalist for digital Crown”

1. Lydia Henry on December 12th, 2017 10:01 pm

So very proud of this group! Mr Davis and his team are the finest group I know. I like that Mr. Davis always works to improve from the year before.

[Reply]

jdavis Reply:

Thank you, Mrs. Henry. You’re one of our program’s biggest supporters and we think you’re awesome!

[Reply]

2. Holly S on December 13th, 2017 8:37 am

It’s awesome watching the blog grow & change over the years. You guys definitely deserve it, Congratulations!

[Reply]

jdavis Reply:

Thank you, Holly! If you are reading this and you don’t know Holly, she is a Cougar Media Hall of Famer. She wrote for the Cougar News Blog back when we had no idea what Crown Awards were. She was an amazing writer and provided great leadership to other staff members.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Chronicle named finalist for digital Crown

News

Valentine’s dance moves to Wednesday

News

Teachers take pies in the face to help StuCo raise money for hurricane victims

News

NJHS supports community with chili cook-off

• News

Committee to decide whether to return to 5-day week

News

Students study Bill of Rights with art contest

News

Kidde uses crowdfunding to secure microscopes

News

PTO clothing drive raises $400

News

Students raise money for Mining Camp employees

News

StuCo earns Master Council award for second time

News

Graffiti artist visits school to inspire, motive students

The Student News Site of Cactus Canyon Jr. High - Apache Junction, Arizona