Canyon Chronicle

NJHS supports community with chili cook-off

Event raises $300 for Thanksgiving meals and Angel Tree

Giving out chili he made on Oct, 18, Crea RosentreterLosito pours Samuel English a cup of his chili at the Chili Cook Off Fundraiser.

Mallory Mellor

Mallory Mellor

David Tomazin, Staff Writer

NJHS members raised about $300 for families in need on Oct. 18 by hosting a chili cook off.
     National Junior Honor Society donated $315 for the purchase of turkey dinners and the Christmas presents.
     “We are able to purchase turkey pre-cooked dinners with all the trimmings for four families,” said Schroeder. “We have money left over to purchase gifts for needy children off of the Angel Tree this year.”
     Those serving chili paid $10 to enter their first chili and $5 for each additional entry. Those who came to taste chili paid $2.
     The Chili Cook Off helped families get Thanksgiving dinners and Christmas presents. The goal was for students to help the community and to understand their leadership roles by helping others.
     “The students of NJHS are the real stars for the success of the cook off,” adviser Mallory Stradling said.
The event has happened several times in past years and NJHS sponsors use it teach their members responsibility and leadership through the event.
     Three eighth graders earned the top spots in the contest. Kashmir Baillie was the winner, while Maggie Allyn placed second and David Tomazin earned third place.
NJHS sponsors Stradling and Lisa Schroeder hope to complete more community service through collaboration with Project Help, Community Alliance Against Family Abuse, Shop with a Cop, and the second annual AJ Leads the Way student leadership conference.
     “Our goal for the event is to fundraise so we can do what NJHS promises to do which is help the community,” Stradling said.

About the Contributors
David Tomazin, Staff Writer, Announcements Host
Hello Muggles! I’m David Tomazin, probably the biggest nerd you will ever meet. My Hogwarts house is Gryffindor and I like Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Overwatch, and more. I enjoy reading, drawing, and watching anime. I enjoy writing normal news stories, but I’m pretty much good with everything.
Mallory Mellor, Photographer
Greeting and salutations, I’m Mallory Mellor, a photographer for the Canyon Chronicle and part of NJHS. I love music, taking photos, nature, food, YouTube, video games, and animals, especially wild cats or wolves. I also enjoy hanging out with my close friends and some of my family.