Canyon Chronicle

Teachers aim for student engagement, participation

New techniques help get all students involved

Practicing ways to simplify expressions, Azalia Hernandez and Aris Arredondo search for the correct answer during a game of Kahoot in Tina Jada's class on Oct. 18.

Kathryn Matthes, Staff Writer

Teachers are using different tactics to help students be more interested in their classes. Their goal is to make sure all students are engaged and participating on a regular basis.
     Eighth grade math teacher Rachel Mangum teaches total student engagement techniques during staff development days and believes it is one of the most important parts of being a teacher.
     “You can’t learn something if you are not engaged in the learning. Making sure that students are engaged is the number one thing that a teacher has to do,” she said. “No engagement means no learning, period.”
     The teachers use different methods to get students more engaged in the topic that they are learning. Some tactics are used in group assignments while other are to help them as individuals.
     “Being involved in class helps me understand a topic because I’m having fun in class and it helps me to remember the topic better,” eighth grader Samuel English said.
     One of the resources teachers use is called Kahoot, which gives a game-like feel to learning. A question will appear on the screen and the students have a certain amount of time to answer it with their devices. Students enjoy playing Kahoot because it helps them understand the lesson better while having fun.
     “Kahoot makes learning in the classroom enjoyable than normal learning because you can learn from your mistakes,” English said.
     Other strategies Mrs. Mangum has taught include SmartPAL dry erase folders which allow teachers to print their own materials and have students participate in a variety of ways that range from circling one answer to writing a longer sentence. Flippity, a selection tool that creates random groups, is being used by several teachers and gets students more involved by discussing the lesson with peers.
     Teachers say the more fun students have in their classes, the more likely they will want to came to class and be excited to learn. Students also are more likely to remember the topic by applying what they learned since it was more enjoyable than just writing down a bunch of notes.
     “I believe that students who are having fun learning, are actually learning more,” eighth-grade science teacher Regan Roach said. “They are excited to come to class, they want to do well for themselves and their teacher, and the success shows during the formative (assessment).”

About the Writer
Kathryn Matthes, Staff Writer
I’m a Taurus and I like wolves, some anime, and my cat Meme.
4 Comments

4 Responses to “Teachers aim for student engagement, participation”

1. Michael Dunford on November 15th, 2017 7:51 am

I like how they are getting the students engaged.

2. Raymond Marshall on November 15th, 2017 10:38 am

I like when the teachers do kahoot like in the pictures.

3. Crystal on November 15th, 2017 11:46 am

I love how professional your article sounds, great job and I like to hear that teachers are helping students get more engaged.

4. Lucy Caughlin on November 15th, 2017 11:48 am

I would love to see more from this photographer! This is very good use of leading lines.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Teachers aim for student engagement, participation

Academics

Experienced adviser Schroeder takes over StuCo program

• Academics

Students create projects in study of Renaissance

Academics

SD trip returns after year off

Academics

Science students create ads to learn about minerals

Academics

Anne Frank project teaches about history, tolerance

Academics

Advanced art students work with gourds

Academics

Science students shift to online notebooks

Academics

Science students view reactions in chemistry lab

• Academics

PE students get leadership opportunities

• Academics

Seventh-graders choosing own science projects

The Student News Site of Cactus Canyon Jr. High - Apache Junction, Arizona