The Student News Site of Cactus Canyon Jr. High - Apache Junction, Arizona

Canyon Chronicle

Life Skills students learn to shop

Looking for the lemonade his group needs to complete a meal they are making for the teachers, seventh grader Jimmy H. has his eye on the drink Mrs. Warren has requested him to select from the juices on the shelf at Bashes on Sept. 25

Isabella Vasquez

Isabella Vasquez

Rylee Anforth, Staff Writer

Norma Warren’s Life Skills class took a trip to Basha’s in Gold Canyon on Sept. 25 to learn skills and behavior associated with grocery shopping.
     Warren wants her students to learn a number of skills from this experience like, how to read grocery store ads, how to comparison shop, and how to make a budget and shopping list. The most important thing she hopes they learn is food safety.
     “We want our students to work on being independent,” she said. “We hope that by the end of this year, they can ride public transportation, shop in a grocery store, open a bank account, balance a checkbook, and look at volunteering or career options.”
     To prepare for the trip, did an activity with ads and a map of the store. They mapped out where the things they needed were and how much they cost. The class made a breakfast meal for the teachers on campus with the things they bought at Bashas.
     “The students cooked a breakfast burrito meal for the teachers,” Ms. Warren said. “There were 21 orders to fill and deliver. They did a great job of cooking, preparing, delivering, and collecting $2 for each meal.”
     They did not talk to Bashas ahead of time because Warren wanted it to be as real as possible. The maps of the store and the ads helped them make there way through the store, getting all the things they needed.
     “The kids did great for their first trip to the grocery store,” Ms. Warren said. “It’s our hope that with enough trips, they will be able to cook the meals for the teachers with very little adult intervention.”
     Over the course of this year the students will travel to many different grocery stores to continue learning how to shop effectively. Their next trip is to Costco, they are going to compare their Bashas trip to this upcoming trip.
     “We are going to compare our Basha’s trip to a big box store. Is it more cost-effective to buy everything in bulk? What’s best to buy in the local market? What about food spoilage?” Warren said.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Life Skills students learn to shop”

1. Billy Bob on November 15th, 2017 8:14 am

It was awesome that they had the opportunity to do that. Also the story writing quality was beyond amazing.

[Reply]

2. Dylan West on November 15th, 2017 12:55 pm

This is a great story! Good writing.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

NaNoWriMo helps students overcome challenges

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Teachers aim for student engagement, participation

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Students practice communication skills on museum trip

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Cougar Life elective aims to help students find balance

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Interactive notebooks help students do more than write down info

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Jousting helps students understand Renaissance

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Enrichment classes teaches students about the brain

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Class teaches difference between taking pictures and photography

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Board games help students practice strategy, build confidence

• Academics

Nutrition class teaches students to make better food choices

Life Skills students learn to shop