Canyon Chronicle

Life Skills students learn to shop

Back to Article
Back to Article

Life Skills students learn to shop

Looking for the lemonade his group needs to complete a meal they are making for the teachers, seventh grader Jimmy H. has his eye on the drink Mrs. Warren has requested him to select from the juices on the shelf at Bashes on Sept. 25

Isabella Vasquez

Isabella Vasquez

Isabella Vasquez

Rylee Anforth, Staff Writer

Norma Warren’s Life Skills class took a trip to Basha’s in Gold Canyon on Sept. 25 to learn skills and behavior associated with grocery shopping.
     Warren wants her students to learn a number of skills from this experience like, how to read grocery store ads, how to comparison shop, and how to make a budget and shopping list. The most important thing she hopes they learn is food safety.
     “We want our students to work on being independent,” she said. “We hope that by the end of this year, they can ride public transportation, shop in a grocery store, open a bank account, balance a checkbook, and look at volunteering or career options.”
     To prepare for the trip, did an activity with ads and a map of the store. They mapped out where the things they needed were and how much they cost. The class made a breakfast meal for the teachers on campus with the things they bought at Bashas.
     “The students cooked a breakfast burrito meal for the teachers,” Ms. Warren said. “There were 21 orders to fill and deliver. They did a great job of cooking, preparing, delivering, and collecting $2 for each meal.”
     They did not talk to Bashas ahead of time because Warren wanted it to be as real as possible. The maps of the store and the ads helped them make there way through the store, getting all the things they needed.
     “The kids did great for their first trip to the grocery store,” Ms. Warren said. “It’s our hope that with enough trips, they will be able to cook the meals for the teachers with very little adult intervention.”
     Over the course of this year the students will travel to many different grocery stores to continue learning how to shop effectively. Their next trip is to Costco, they are going to compare their Bashas trip to this upcoming trip.
     “We are going to compare our Basha’s trip to a big box store. Is it more cost-effective to buy everything in bulk? What’s best to buy in the local market? What about food spoilage?” Warren said.

About the Contributors
Rylee Anforth, Chronicle Editor, Announcements Host and Editor

My name is Rylee. I like to eat food, it's pretty fun. I like horses and dogs, they're also pretty fun.

Isabella Vasquez, Photographer, Yearbook Editor

My name is Isabella Vasquez, but many of my friends refer to me as “Bella” and so many other names I can’t name them all. I am vice president in...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Life Skills students learn to shop”

1. Billy Bob on November 15th, 2017 8:14 am

It was awesome that they had the opportunity to do that. Also the story writing quality was beyond amazing.

2. Dylan West on November 15th, 2017 12:55 pm

This is a great story! Good writing.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Experienced adviser Schroeder takes over StuCo program

• Academics

Students create projects in study of Renaissance

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

SD trip returns after year off

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Science students create ads to learn about minerals

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Anne Frank project teaches about history, tolerance

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Advanced art students work with gourds

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Science students shift to online notebooks

• Life Skills students learn to shop

Academics

Science students view reactions in chemistry lab

• Academics

PE students get leadership opportunities

• Academics

Seventh-graders choosing own science projects

The Student News Site of Cactus Canyon Jr. High - Apache Junction, Arizona
Life Skills students learn to shop